Sunday, August 12, 2007

Saturday Morning Shopping

When we arrived at the Alexander's yesterday morning, Brian's dad was still mowing the lawn, and his mom wasn't back from work yet, so Brian and I walked down to the Crystal Spring's Farmers Market. I had never been to this farmers' market before, and since it was a beautiful day and less than a 5 minute walk to get there we checked it out. It was wonderful! We bought fresh baked 3-cheese foccacia bread (Mmm, my favorite!), local organic green beans, potatoes, corn on the cob, and a pot pie made with locally raised turkey meat. There was hand-spun alpaca yarn -soooo soft, I need to find a knitting project to use it for so I can buy it! And an older gentleman playing spoons and an old fashioned handsaw - that's right, he was making music by bending the saw blade and dragging a bow along it (like you'd use on the strings of a violin). It was very cool. So we both agreed that we just found our new Saturday morning hang-out. Too bad we discovered it so late in the season! The best part was that our entire lunch was locally made/grown, we supported local business, it can't get any fresher than "picked this morning" and we didn't have to drive to the store to get any of it! Sometimes the simple things just make your day.


Laura: This link's for you... http://crystalspringcsa.com/info.php It's the organic farm in Brunswick - and we would never try to convince you that Maine is the right place for you guys, but.....I know you'd appreciate this: you can buy a "share" of the season's crops (June to October) which gets you approx. 11 lbs or fresh, organic, locally grown food each week. Isn't that fabulous?! That's got to at LEAST match the Illinios grocery store's organic produce section, right? :)

1 comment:

Laura said...

Very nice - you guys are really so blessed to have that farmers market! I agree, Melissa, sometimes it's the simple things that remind us how blessed we are.

LOVE he organic farm idea too. Looks like a lot of great produce! Yum!

Maine is looking good!