A few of you may have already heard about my lucky contest winnings: Oakhurst Dairy is our local Maine-based milk company and a few weeks ago (in the midst of the election) there was a little sticker on my milk jug describing a contest "Vote Oakhurst." The idea was to "vote" for companies with practices you support (Oakhurst being the company that took on Monsanto to keep their pledge against artificial growth hormones on their products, among other ways they are trying to go green: biofuels in their trucks, solar panels at their plant, milk that comes from local Maine dairy farmers). So anyways, they're a good local company, I bought my 1 1/2% milk and entered the contest online.... well, somebody's gotta win - and it was ME! Brian and I got a tour of their Portland processing facilities by the owner of the company and received a gift card toward groceries! What a nice gift! We had a great time on our tour and are of course really excited about our giftcard toward food - how can you go wrong with that?!
So the moral of this story.... buying local is always a winning choice!! (Ha ha....No, I wasn't paid to say this; my cheesy lines are 100% mine)

I didn't take this photo, but this is one thing we saw - the bottling of the milk. Something I learned from the tour that I didn't know before: all the milk that comes in has the fat removed so it's essentially skim. Then milk, such as 2% has that two percent fat added back in! Who knew?

And here's Shelly and Brian goofing around with the hairnets from the tour!

No comments:
Post a Comment