Thursday, February 11, 2010

Kitchen Musings

It's winter and it's cold out - something in my brain tells me I must bake, and bake, and bake some more.... so here's one weekend's kitchen adventures:

First, I just LOVE opening up our egg carton and seeing a hodgepodge of eggs - it reminds me that eggs don't normally come in sets of 12 flawless, tan, Extra Large identical eggs... maybe that's just plain weird, but it makes me smile....
I decided that it was time I tried making Rye bread, since I adore the "Big Top" sandwich from The Big Top Deli on Maine Street (pastrami, coleslaw, some sort of cheese, and thousand island on rye - beyond scrumptious!). Besides the Big Top Deli, I don't have sandwiches for lunch - they bore me.... so it was time for me to try my hands at Rye bread and discover if that was the secret to a fabulous sandwich!

Ready for action...
Yeast, water, molasses, cocoa powder ...
Mixing...

Rye flour...
Kneaded by hand this time...
Once I slipped this baby onto the hot pizza stone - poof! It rose considerably during the baking process. I forgot to slit the top, so it busted out the side as you can see.
But no harm done! Still very tasty, with hints of the molasses.
It was good, but not the rye I was looking for. I'm on the hunt for a good recipe WITHOUT the cocoa - anyone have a great rye bread recipe???

Even though it's the middle of winter here in Maine (but judging by the recent weather, it's more wintery in every OTHER place in the country) we still have a good indoor farmer's market to tide us over until summer. I got some beautiful carrots and bag of mixed baby beets.

How pretty are all these different colored beets - even striped (with a few carrots)!? Time to roast 'em!
I knew winter was good for something...... Mmmmmm....back to the oven :)

3 comments:

Laura said...

I'm with you, I'm not much of a sandwich girl unless I find something special. Your bread looked really yummy, but hmmm, not sure how the cocoa would taste in it. Keep us posted on your next try!

The veggies look beautiful! I bet they were delicious! How nice you have an indoor farmers market! I am even more ready to move there now! (And not just to eat your veggies and bread, but that would be nice!)

Thanks for this post, it's nice to see what's going on at the Alexander's.

Laura said...

And I LOVE that you get eggs from happy chickens. I bet they even taste better.

Anonymous said...

Ingredients
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup molasses
2 tablespoons butter
3 1/4 cups rye flour
2 1/2 cups bread flour
Directions
1.Dissolve yeast in warm water.
2.In a large bowl combine milk, sugar, and salt. Use a mixer to beat in molasses, butter, yeast mixture, and 1 cup of rye flour.
3.Use a wooden spoon to mix in the remaining rye flour. Add white flour by stirring until the dough is stiff enough to knead.
4.Knead 5 to 10 minutes, adding flour as needed. If the dough sticks to your hands or the board add more flour.
5.Cover dough and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until double.
6.Punch down dough and divide to form two round loaves. Let loaves rise on a greased baking sheet until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
7.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.


i saw this and thought of you. it was called German Rye Bread.

Leah