Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Does that potato have eyes? (wink wink)

I'm not so keen on the genetically modified food movement we're in the midst of here, nor am I appreciative that the gov't thinks it's unnecessary for food producers to labels GM foods as such. So when I saw this it gave me a bit of hope.... haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to share in case it interests anyone else:

The little stickers on fruits and veggies have digits that let you know whether they're conventionally grown or organic, and if they're genetically modified (GM). Aparently, in the United States food can't be certified organic if it's grown with GM seeds - which is great, but I just can't bear to spend $3.00 for an organic red pepper that's been shipped to Maine from Peru or wherever. So until the snow melts and our good ol' Farmer's Market is back in full swing, I'll be looking at the labels stuck on my fruits and veggies:
  • A four-digit number means it's conventionally grown.
  • A five-digit number beginning with 9 means it's organic.
  • A five-digit number beginning with 8 means it's GM.

1 comment:

Laura said...

That's really good to know! I knew organic began with a 9, but I don't remember seeing anything starting with anything else but 4. I'll keep my eyes out for that from now on.

Great info - thanks!